h2h logo1 sp

 

10 steps to healthy eating

 

Hydrate your body Make plain water your default drink – most of us don’t drink enough of it. The body needs 2 litres (8 glasses) of water each day. Carry a bottle of water with you in the car and on your desk at work.

Eat for life quit dieting Nutrition is not about dropping a dress size. It’s about eating well to nourish your body.

Listen to your stomach Your stomach is only the size of your fist clenched. Imagine this and you’ll soon realise it doesn’t take a lot to fill that volume. Aim to eat only when you’re hungry. Stop when you’re comfortably full – not stuffed! Check in with your stomach every so often – it takes the stomach 20 minutes to signal the brain that it’s FULL!

Practise mindful eating Eat slowly, savouring each mouthful and enjoying the different flavours. Focus on the food in front of you. Put your fork and knife down between bites. Sit down to eat, even if it’s only for a snack. Turn the TV off and don’t read

2

Healthy fats  Opt for monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats that are derived from oils, nuts, seeds and avocado. Use them to replace any saturated fats you consume.

Eat smart carbohydrates Go for whole grains, high-fibre or low GI carbs such as wholemeal and multigrain breads, brown rice, oats, barley, fibre-enriched or wholegrain breakfast cereals and legumes. This means they are absorbed more slowly – your body is doing all the work, not the food factory!

Avoid added sugar  Feeding that sweet tooth? Too much sugar adds unwanted calories and supplies no fibre, vitamins or minerals. A  small amount ( 6 teaspoons) of added sugar is  OK, but limit your consumption of sugary soft drinks, juices, lollies, chocolate, cakes, and ice creams as you would be surprised  how quickly it all adds up.

Love those vegetables and snack on fruits Vegetables, salads and fruit carry an abundance of vitamins, minerals and natural antioxidants (phytochemicals), all for very few calories. They are what nutritionists call ‘nutrient dense’.

Think positive   Don’t dwell on what you CAN’T eat! Think of the delicious enjoyable foods you CAN enjoy from a bowl of hearty soup to good Greek yoghurt.

Healthy eating 90/10 rule If 90 per cent of your intake is healthy, then the remaining 10 per cent of an occasional treat won’t derail your efforts. One chocolate won’t ruin a healthy diet – but the whole box will!